Harvey E. Smires, MDBoard-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Smires graduated with honors from Harvard College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in 1979. He then received a Doctorate of Medicine degree from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University in 1983.
Following two years of a general surgery residency at Roosevelt Hospital in New York City, he received his orthopaedic training at the Hospital for Special Surgery, also in Manhattan. The Hospital of Special Surgery, affiliated with the New York Hospital and Cornell University Medical College, provided him with an extensive background in total joint arthroplasty and adult reconstructive surgery. In addition, he has had the opportunity to work with nationally known sports medicine experts and has gained valuable experience in bone tumor work at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital.
Dr. Smires has worked in Princeton since 1988. He is currently a member of the American Medical Association, the Medical Society of New Jersey, Eastern Orthopaedic Society, New Jersey Orthopaedic Society, a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and a member of the American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He is an attending surgeon at University Medical Center of Princeton. Dr. Smires' current projects include consulting with the Princeton Healthcare System in developing computer integration and planning the operating rooms and surgical center at the new hospital.
He began Princeton Bone and Joint, LLC in January 2010, moving into new offices with his brother Daniel as the lead physical therapist, in July 2012 at University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro. The practice also employs a physician assistant, Jason J. Nagy.
His specialties include total joint replacement, arthroscopic surgery, and fracture care. Our facilities include physical therapy, digital radiography, and electronic health records.
- Undergraduate: Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
- Medical: Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- General Surgery Internship/Residency: The Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY and St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- Attending Surgeon: University Medical Center at Princeton, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery Consultant: McCosh Infirmary, Princeton University, Carrier Clinic, Rutgers Community Health Plan
- American Medical Association
- Mercer County Medical Society
- New Jersey State Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (Fellow)
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
- College of Physicians and Surgeons Alumni Association
- The Roosevelt Hospital Alumni Association
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
Harvey E. Smires, MD
Dr. Smires specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopaedic conditions and performs several orthopaedic procedures including:
- Total Joint Replacement
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Fracture Care